Del Kathryn Barton wins Archibald Prize 2008

Friday, 7 March, 2008

Del Kathryn Barton has been named the winner of the 2008 Archibald Prize, for her self portrait, which also features her children, Kell and Arella; “You are what is most beautiful about me, a self portrait with Kell and Arella”.

Born in Sydney in 1972, Barton has a Bachelor of Fine Art from the College of Fine Arts, University of NSW, where she taught for three years until 2003. She has had regular solo exhibitions since 2000 and has participated in national and international group shows including the Helen Lempiere Travelling Art Scholarship, the Blake Prize for Religious Art and the Sulman Prize. She was a finalist in the 2007 Dobell Prize for Drawing.

The Archibald Prize Exhibition opens to the public tomorrow, 8 March, at the Art Gallery of New South Wales.

Update: for those interested the portrait measures 180 cm wide x 280cm high, and as far as I can tell the work is a combination of illustration and painting. This comment (below) contains links with more information about the way Barton works.

Read more posts on related topics

, , , , , ,

Comments

• I want to know the mediums and Dimensions of the artwork, it seems all people can talk about is her. Rather than what i want to know about- Which is the Artwork!

LUpp at 12:37 pm on Friday, 21 March, 2008
  • I might be able to tell you more shortly… I’m hoping to see the exhibition in the next week or so.

John Lampard at 1:10 pm on Friday, 21 March, 2008
  • hi i would like 2 know wat mediums were used cuz i need it for an assignment which is due this friday.

lil angel at 5:07 pm on Sunday, 30 March, 2008
  • thanx ill do tht

lil angel at 6:15 pm on Sunday, 30 March, 2008
  • Good question… Barton is an illustrator and drawer who also works with paint. It’s my guess (having not seen seen the actual painting yet) that it would be a combo of her usual elements.

There’s a bit more about the way she works here, and here, which I don’t know if you’ve seen already.

If you need to know for sure quite soon though, you could try emailing or calling the press room at AGNSW, see contact info at the end of this page. I’m sure they’d be willing to help you.

John Lampard at 5:44 pm on Sunday, 30 March, 2008
  • You’re welcome – good luck :)

John Lampard at 8:32 pm on Sunday, 30 March, 2008
  • lol i also am doing an art assignment but art isnt my thing so im not going to go for a high mark

josh at 10:24 pm on Sunday, 1 June, 2008
  • I didn’t think art was my thing until I studied it :)

John Lampard at 11:26 pm on Sunday, 1 June, 2008
  • i was wondering what size canvas Del Kathryn Barton used on the painting that won the archibald prize?

alis at 2:24 pm on Tuesday, 22 July, 2008
  • Hi alis… I’m not sure of the actual dimensions of the canvas but it was on the bigger side, quite massive really look at this photo with the artist and her children in front of the painting for an idea…

John Lampard at 8:00 pm on Thursday, 24 July, 2008
  • hi uhhmm i was wondering if yooh could tell me wat the size and medium is of Del Kathryn Barton’s artwork “you are what is most beautiful about me.”??

i hope to hear from yooh soon.
    Thanks.

Stella. at 4:36 pm on Friday, 22 August, 2008
  • hi
    i have a art assignment due week 7 at skool and well i thought i would just drop by and chose this art work and i really like it but i need to know the size and the medium also 5 achievments the artist has done so ya
    please help me in new to this Archibald prize thing coz i good at music thats why ive also never knew about it as well.!!

DD at 8:19 pm on Saturday, 23 August, 2008
  • Hi Stella and DD, I have added a little more info to the end of my post which I hope assists you. Unfortunately there seems to be very little information online about the composition of the painting.

John Lampard at 11:38 pm on Thursday, 28 August, 2008
  • what is the mediun of the portrait?

assinment. at 5:01 pm on Saturday, 20 September, 2008
  • Hi assinment, I covered this in the update to my post above. There’s also a few other links on this page leading to articles with more info about the painting :)

John Lampard at 5:43 pm on Saturday, 20 September, 2008
  • Hi, I have a year 7 assessment task due in a few weeks and i need to know WHEN this artwork was made, not when it won, would you be able to tell me this? thankyou so so so much!.

Katelin at 7:46 pm on Monday, 22 September, 2008
  • Check this out:

The Archibald Prize is awarded for “the best portrait, preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in Art, Letters, Science or Politics, painted by an artist resident in Australasia during the 12 months preceding the date fixed by the Trustees for sending in the pictures.”

Therefore all works for the 2008 prize would have most likely been painted at some point in 2007. Have a close read of this AGNSW page for more exact info and also here:

Entries for the 2008 Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes will be received between Monday 18 February and Friday 22 February 2008 (between 8am and 4pm).

John Lampard at 8:11 pm on Monday, 22 September, 2008
  • Hi,
    What paints are used on this? Are they oil or acrylic & did she use a canvas? thankyou so much!

Kate at 4:58 pm on Tuesday, 14 October, 2008
  • hey wat year did she create this work because i have a yr 7 assignment due really soon and i need to know at least wat year it was created in well thanks heaps

smiley miley at 1:35 pm on Sunday, 26 October, 2008
  • Hi Kate & smiley: you should find the info you need by reading through the comments attached to this post.

I’d say the work was most likely created in 2007.

John Lampard at 2:07 pm on Sunday, 26 October, 2008